Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Can See Russia From My Porch...

We we are hold up in Fairbanks, the rest-up, bike maintenance outpost. Gary, Mike, and Rusty followed through on their bucket list commitment to ride to Prudhoe and back in two days. They left early Friday morning and rode straight through every type of weather that is possible during this time of year. They returned yesterday (Saturday) afternoon and spent the early evening getting tires switched out and oils changed by Dan and Shawn (the 24-7 super maintenance and chat service). By all accounts they do great work at all hours of day and night at reasonable rates.

I ran into a couple guys at the Harley shop that attempted the Prudhoe run the day before and reported horrendous conditions, very wet and dangerous. I was greatly relieved to hear from Mike that they had all returned without serious incident.

Our accommodations here in Fairbanks are very nifty. Nice little private cottages at the banks of the Chena river. As for me, I have enjoyed the time off of the road and have used the time to bare down on my training module (6 Sigma stuff) development responsibility. I did some minor maintenance my self but opted for the Harley/BMW franchise across the street.

The ladies arrived Saturday in time for dinner on the river and I enjoyed their company. They spent all day the following day on a bus tour of the Artic regions.

I am sure today will be a rest-up for the 3 adventure tourers (and spouses) and we will depart as planned for Denali on Monday morning.

Look for Gary's upcoming blog (I am sure) detailing the great Prudhoe adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment